Kwadwo Dickson

Muntaka vows to look into excesses in ongoing ‘raids’ on former officials

The Interior Minister, Muntaka Mohammed Mubarak, has pledged to address concerns regarding excesses in ongoing operations, assuring the public that a thorough review will be conducted to determine appropriate actions.

This follows growing public outcry and demands for accountability after a team of heavily armed National Security operatives raided Dr. Addison’s Roman Ridge home on March 19 in Accra.

The incident, which saw officers disabling CCTV cameras and ransacking the property, has raised concerns about due process and the motives behind the operation.

Meanwhile, Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem Sai has explained that all the searches carried out so far were lawfully conducted with proper warrants.

Speaking to JoyNews‘ James Avedzi on the sidelines of the Police Regional Commanders’ Conference, Mubarak acknowledged that while much of the activity being carried out is legitimate, there are occasional excesses that need to be addressed.

“We will look at the magnitude of the excesses, and based on that, we will know what to do. I will not be able to stand here and tell you the exact level, but I have asked for a report,” he explained.

Mubarak further assured that following the review, measures would be taken to ensure that identified excesses are properly dealt with.

Meanwhile, the Minister says he’s yet to confirm the arrest of the former head of the National Signals Bureau.

“Looking at it, we will try to see how to fashion it to make sure that those excesses are taken out,” he added.

While Mubarak acknowledged the legitimacy of most of these actions, he recognised the need for oversight and corrective measures to prevent any overreach.

“Believe me, most of the things they are doing are legitimate, but sometimes it comes with some excesses, which we are taking out,” Mubarak said.

Jordan Ayew dismisses reports of rift in Black Stars camp

Black Stars captain Jordan Ayew has dismissed claims of a fractured relationship within the Ghana national team following their failure to qualify for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

Recent reports suggested tensions among the players, but Ayew, speaking to Joy Sports, strongly refuted these allegations, emphasizing the unity within the squad.

“Obviously, we are not best friends because everyone is different and has people they’re closest to,” he said.

“But just like a family, the fact that you’re closer to your sister doesn’t mean you don’t love your brother.

“There’s no problem or friction within the team, and I’m yet to see any problem whatsoever. We’re like brothers,” he added.

Ayew, who netted nine goals in 13 appearances for Ghana last year, will be looking to maintain his impressive form as the Black Stars prepare for their FIFA World Cup qualifier against Chad on Friday in Accra. The forward will lead the team against Chad at the Accra Sports Stadium before traveling to face Madagascar on Monday for the fifth and sixth rounds of the 2026 World Cup qualifiers.

It was meant to be – Jordan Ayew on Black Stars captaincy

Newly appointed Black Stars captain Jordan Ayew has expressed his delight and gratitude for his new leadership role, describing it as something that was simply meant to happen.

Ahead of Ghana’s 2026 World Cup qualifying matches against Chad and Madagascar, the Leicester City forward has been officially named the team’s new skipper.

This makes him the third member of the Ayew family—after his legendary father, Abedi Pele, and older brother, Andre—to wear the captain’s armband.

Speaking to Joy Sports in his first interview since the announcement, Ayew acknowledged the influence of past leaders and shared his hopes for a successful tenure.

“I’ve learned from the best—whether it’s Asamoah [Gyan] or Andre [Ayew]. I’ll try and pick up things from their qualities.

“I’ll keep on taking advice and things that made me grow to become who I am today.”

He also revealed that both Andre and Gyan had reached out to offer their support.

“Andre and I are very close—he congratulated me and gave me some advice. Asamoah [Gyan] as well,” he said.

The former Swansea City and Aston Villa forward explained that stepping into the captaincy role happened naturally for him.

“I’m not someone who thinks about being captain or about leadership roles,” he said.

“I just want to enjoy playing football, winning games, scoring goals, and making people happy.

“There was a lot of talk and I was always quiet in my corner. I don’t focus on all those things. It just happened naturally,” he added.

With the captain’s armband now his, Ayew will be looking to lead the Black Stars to victory in their crucial World Cup qualifiers against Chad and Madagascar.

Otto Addo confident ahead of Black Stars’ clash against Chad

Black Stars head coach Otto Addo is optimistic about his team’s chances as they prepare to take on Chad in the 2026 World Cup qualifiers.

The four-time African champions will host Chad tonight at the Accra Sports Stadium, with kickoff set for 19:00 GMT in a crucial Matchday Five encounter.

Addo and his squad have faced intense scrutiny following their failure to qualify for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

However, speaking to the media ahead of the match, the 49-year-old coach emphasized that their fate remains in their own hands and expressed confidence in securing a positive result.

“Now we have everything in our own hands, which is very important, very good for us, and this is really positive,” he said.

“I am very sure we will deliver [against Chad]. I’m not—I can’t call myself [an] expert… I always want to win,” he added.

Following the clash against Chad, the Black Stars will travel to Morocco on Monday to face Madagascar in their Matchday Six fixture of the qualifiers.

2026 WCQ: Asamoah Gyan urges support for Black Stars

Former Black Stars captain Asamoah Gyan has urged Ghanaians to support the senior national team as they gear up for crucial 2026 World Cup qualifiers.

Ghana will regroup for the first time this year after failing to qualify for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), marking their first absence from the tournament in two decades.

The Black Stars will face Chad at the Accra Sports Stadium tonight before traveling to Morocco to take on Madagascar in their Matchday 5 and 6 fixtures.

Despite a challenging 2024 campaign with only two wins in 10 matches, Gyan—Ghana’s all-time leading goalscorer—has encouraged fans to put aside their frustrations and rally behind the team.

“I will call on everyone to stay behind the team ahead of these games. I know people are angry, which is normal, but this is the World Cup. There is a new government, and we must stay together and support this team,” he told Asempa FM’s Ultimate Sports Show.

“People expect these players to match past generations, which must be possible, but what they need now is our support to get the needed wins.”

Gyan also called on fans to fill the stadium, believing that with their backing, the players will rise to the occasion.

“We should go to the stadium in our numbers and support them because our players are confident, and I believe with our support, they will deliver,” he added.

Ghana, aiming for their fifth World Cup appearance, must secure victories in these upcoming matches to strengthen their standing in Group I and keep their qualification hopes alive.

Ghana’s banking sector on path to recovery – Banks Association President

The President of the Ghana Association of Banks, Kwamina Asomaning, has expressed optimism about the country’s banking sector, stating that Ghana is on a “path to recovery” following a series of economic shocks in recent years.

Speaking on Joy News’ PM Express Business Edition on Thursday, March 20, Asomaning acknowledged the challenges the sector has faced but emphasized the strides made towards stability.

“I have been in the banking sector for some years, and the only constant is change. Each period has come with its fair share of challenges,” he noted.

“I wouldn’t say one period has been more turbulent than others by a significant degree, but we’ve gone through a few shocks.”

Reflecting on recent economic upheavals, the Managing Director of Stanbic Bank Ghana pointed to the COVID-19 pandemic and Ghana’s sovereign debt default as key disruptions that rattled the financial landscape.

However, he stressed that despite the setbacks, the situation has improved compared to the past two years.

“I think it’s fair to say that we are on a path to recovery. We’re not completely out of the woods, but if you look back to where we were in 2022 and 2023, there has been significant improvement on the broad macros and in the sector in particular,” he explained.

The banking sector faced immense pressure following Ghana’s debt restructuring efforts, which significantly impacted financial institutions holding government bonds.

The sector also grappled with liquidity challenges and weakened investor confidence. However, Asomaning believes the worst is behind the industry, with positive trends emerging.

Industry players have been working closely with regulators to restore stability, and Asomaning commended efforts made by the Bank of Ghana in fostering resilience.

“The regulator has been very instrumental in ensuring that the right policies and measures are put in place to restore confidence in the sector,” he said.

His remarks come at a time when banks are gradually regaining momentum, with improved macroeconomic indicators signaling cautious optimism.

Inflation rates, currency stability, and economic growth projections have shown some progress, factors that Asomaning believes are critical in solidifying the recovery process.

While acknowledging that the road ahead remains uncertain, Asomaning underscored the need for continuous adaptation and collaboration to sustain the gains made.

“As banks, we must remain agile and innovative. The challenges we have faced only reinforce the importance of resilience and adaptability,” he stated.

We’ve built enough buffers to meet all DDEP obligations – Finance Minister

The Minister for Finance, Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson, has assured the banking sector that the government has built sufficient financial buffers to meet all obligations under the Domestic Debt Exchange Programme (DDEP) for the year.

He emphasized the government’s commitment to fiscal responsibility and restoring confidence in the financial sector.

In a statement on social media on Friday, March 21, Dr. Forson disclosed that he had engaged with over 22 Managing Directors of banks at a high-level meeting to reaffirm the government’s commitment to honoring all DDEP obligations.

“We do not intend to default,” he declared. “All outstanding holdouts have been paid, and we have put in place the necessary buffers to ensure that every single DDEP obligation for this year will be met.”

Beyond ensuring timely payments, Dr. Forson noted that the government was also working to reduce its dependence on the Treasury bill market. He highlighted efforts to improve coordination between fiscal and monetary policies to stabilize interest rates and ease liquidity pressures on the banking sector.

“These actions are part of a broader strategy to ensure economic resilience and prevent a repeat of the financial instability of 2022,” he explained.

The Finance Minister further reassured banking executives that the government had learned from past financial challenges and would act prudently moving forward.

“We have learned from the past. We are not going to be reckless,” he stated. “We have built the necessary buffers to meet our obligations, and we will work with you to ensure a stable and prosperous economy.”

GBfoods Ghana strengthens trade partnerships with key distributors

GBfoods Ghana, a leading food manufacturing company and market leader in tomato cooking bases and taste enhancers, has successfully hosted its inaugural Key Distributor Conference.

The event, held in Accra and Kumasi, brought together key trade partners from across the country to discuss business strategies, enhance collaboration, and recognize top-performing distributors.

The two conferences enabled GBfoods Ghana’s management to share key business plans and discuss critical trade topics of mutual interest with its valued partners.

Key distributors also took the opportunity to share their progress and reaffirm their support and commitment to the GBfoods portfolio.

The conference facilitated open discussions, allowing trade partners to engage with company leadership, share insights, and outline their expectations, strengthening relationships and driving business growth.

As part of the events, GBfoods Ghana honored top-performing distributors for their exceptional contributions over the past year. A total of 39 awards were presented across various categories, with Rapaa Limited emerging as the overall winner for the Southern sector and Michael Adjei Enterprise taking the top spot in the Northern belt.

Speaking at the event, Mr. David Afflu, General Manager of GBfoods Ghana, expressed appreciation for the distributors’ dedication and impact on the company’s success.

“We value our key partners and recognize the critical role they play in our continued success. We acknowledge your tireless efforts and dedication in driving business growth. This engagement demonstrates our commitment to collaboration, transparency, and mutual transformational growth.”

The Sales Director, Mr. Samuel Dery, also reiterated GBfoods’ commitment to growth, consumer satisfaction, and loyalty, urging distributors to sustain the growth trajectory for higher gains this year.

As GBfoods Ghana continues to celebrate local flavours, the company remains steadfast in its mission to deliver high-quality products that enrich culinary experiences and bring joy to millions of households across Ghana.

These products include the recently launched Gino Jollof Tomato Mix, a convenient, ready-to-use solution that delivers the rich, authentic flavours of Ghanaian Jollof, crafted with a blend of ingredients, including pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, and herbs & spices. Other flagship brands include Gino Peppe & Onio, Gino Curry, Pomo, and Brisk Farm.

GBfoods Ghana remains committed to delivering products that exceed consumer expectations while strengthening and deepening its relationships with key distributor partners.

Mahama orders Attorney General to recover misappropriated Pwalugu Dam funds

President John Dramani Mahama has directed the Attorney General to recover all misappropriated funds linked to the Pwalugu Multipurpose Dam project, which was initiated under the Akufo-Addo administration.

The President expressed outrage over the payment of $12 million to a contractor despite no significant progress on the project, which commenced in November 2019.

As part of his broader anti-corruption agenda, Operation Recover All Loot (ORAL), President Mahama is determined to reclaim lost state funds and ensure accountability.

Describing the abandoned project site as a “crime scene,” he vowed that those responsible would face justice.

Addressing chiefs and residents of the Upper East Region, the President reaffirmed his commitment to completing stalled projects in the area, stressing that the Pwalugu Dam was meant to enhance agriculture and economic development, not serve as an avenue for embezzlement.

In 2024, the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) defended the payment of $11.9 million to the contractor, explaining it was for mobilization rather than completed work. However, President Mahama appears unconvinced, insisting that the looted funds be retrieved. Additionally, he has tasked the finance minister with making the necessary arrangements to restart the project.

Ministry of Energy hosts National Clean Cooking Policy Forum

The Ministry of Energy and Green Transition has launched a two-day National Clean Cooking Policy and Strategy Workshop to address public health concerns and environmental degradation.

The workshop brings together policy experts, industry leaders, and development partners to advance Ghana’s clean cooking solutions.

Energy and Green Transition Minister, John Abdulai Jinapor, highlighted the dangers of traditional cooking methods, noting that nearly 60% of Ghanaians rely on charcoal and firewood, leading to around 6,500 annual deaths due to household air pollution.

He stressed that women and children bear the brunt of these inefficiencies.

To address the issue, the Ministry introduced the National Clean Cooking Policy (NCCP), which promotes LPG, electric stoves, biogas, and improved biomass cookstoves. The policy includes regulatory and fiscal incentives to attract investment and ensure affordable clean cooking technologies. Jinapor also announced the revision of the National Clean Cooking Strategy (NCCS) and its Investment Prospectus (IP), outlining a roadmap for implementation, stakeholder roles, and required financial resources.

“Achieving universal access to clean cooking is not solely the responsibility of the government; it requires a collaborative, multi-stakeholder approach,” he stated.

Chief Director of the Ministry, Wilhelmina Asamoah, emphasized inclusiveness in the discussions and noted that the workshop is the first of three regional engagements.

She acknowledged the World Bank’s support in advancing Ghana’s clean cooking agenda and encouraged active participation in shaping a sustainable future.

Product has been added to your cart