Kwadwo Dickson

West Ham beat Leicester at London Stadium; deepen Foxes relegation woes

West Ham followed up their impressive victory over Arsenal with a win against Leicester to increase the pressure on Ruud van Nistelrooy and his relegation-threatened side.

Tomas Soucek celebrated his 30th birthday with the opening goal in the first half, firing in a loose ball after Mohammed Kudus’ shot was denied.

The hosts then put the game beyond the struggling Foxes just before the break when Jarrod Bowen’s shot from a tight angle deflected in off Leicester defender Jannik Vestergaard, after Jamie Vardy’s header from a corner had hit the woodwork for the visitors.

The Foxes, who were looking to close the gap to safety to two points with a win, had made a positive start as Wilfred Ndidi saw a second-minute effort saved.

But the Hammers’ opener proved a real blow and they struggled to create pretty much anything of note after that. The defeat leaves Van Nistelrooy’s side second-bottom of the Premier League and five points from safety. West Ham, meanwhile, are 15th, with their back-to-back wins putting them level on points with Tottenham and Manchester United, comfortably clear of trouble.

Modern day players find criticism offensive- Erik Ten Hag

Former Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says modern players struggle to deal with criticism and that his generation had “much thicker skin”.

The 55-year-old Dutchman was sacked by United in October, three months after he signed a new two-year contract.

His tenure included several issues and disputes with players.

Speaking to SEG Stories, external – a media outlet attached to his management agency – Ten Hag said: “This generation usually find it difficult to deal with criticism. Criticism really gets to them.

“The generation that I grew up in had much thicker skin. You could be much more direct.

“I was approached much more directly. If I would do that with my current group of players I would demotivate them.

“If you do that to the current generation, they find it offensive.”

Ten Hag won the FA Cup and League Cup during his two full seasons at United, but they finished eighth in the table last season, their worst Premier League finish. Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract was terminated midway through Ten Hag’s first season after he gave an interview to Piers Morgan in which he said he did not respect Ten Hag.

Jadon Sancho was banished from the first-team squad after accusing Ten Hag of making him a “scapegoat” following criticism of his performances in training. Ten Hag disciplined Marcus Rashford last year for missing training following an unauthorised trip to Belfast. Former United defender Raphael Varane last week said he was surprised the club gave Ten Hag a new contract because his connection with the players “no longer existed”.

“Everything was not rosy under Nora Häuptle, let’s put that on record” – Matilda Dimedo

Women’s Football Communication Lead, Matilda Dimedo has remarked that results on the pitch under former Black Queens coach Nora Häuptle were not always positive before the Swiss tactician left to join Zambia’s Copper Queens.

Her comments followed the Black Queens’ first match under new coach Kim Lars Björkegren, who lost to Morocco in a friendly game after being appointed ahead of the team’s participation in the 2025 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON).

Dimedo shared these insights during an interview on Football Made in Ghana with host Bennard Abeiku Okyere on Wednesday, February 26, 2025, when asked about Häuptle’s tenure.

“Even before Nora Hauptle left, we were not recording any win, so that should be the record, it’s not like everything was rosy under her” – Matilda Dimedo, Women’s Football Comms Lead. Despite an impressive 10-game unbeaten run that saw the Black Queens score 34 goals, Häuptle’s final four matches ended without a win—losses to Namibia and Zambia over two legs in the 2024 Paris Olympic qualifiers, and a friendly defeat to Japan.

The unbeaten streak began with a 3-0 friendly win over Benin, followed by 3-0 and 1-0 victories against Senegal in a doubleheader friendly.

The team then secured 3-0 and 4-0 wins over Guinea in the 2024 Paris Olympic qualifiers, followed by 7-0 and 5-0 triumphs against Rwanda in the 2024 WAFCON qualifiers.

A 3-0 victory over Benin in the first leg of the 2024 Olympic qualifiers and a 3-1 win against Namibia in the 2024 WAFCON qualifier final rounded out the run.

With the Women’s AFCON looming, Kim Lars Bjorkegren’s side will face Senegal in the March/April international window as part of preparations for the tournament scheduled for July.

Raja Casablanca Athletic Women unfair to Black Queens – Matilda Dimedo on scrapped friendly

The Communications Lead for Ghana’s National Women’s Team, Matilda Dimedo, has expressed disappointment over the treatment of the Black Queens by Raja Casablanca Athletic Women, stating that the team did not receive the respect and hospitality befitting their status.

Speaking on the issue, on Football Made in Ghana with Host Bennard Abieku Okyere on Wednesday, Feb 26, she revealed that the Black Queens’ scheduled match against Raja Casablanca Athletic Women in Morocco was called off due to unfair conditions presented by their hosts.

“The second game could not come on, because Raja Casablanca were not fair to us with regards to the small astroturf they offered us for the game, whilst there was a natural turf to play on – Matilda Dimedo on scrapped friendly

According to her, despite prior agreements on match arrangements, the team was offered a small AstroTurf, typically used by youth teams, instead of a standard natural grass pitch.

“We are an A-team, a national team of high caliber, and during our pre-match discussions, we had agreed on the necessary arrangements. However, on match day, when we arrived at the academy, we were given a small AstroTurf, which is usually used by U-16 and U-17 teams, despite the availability of a proper natural grass pitch

She emphasized that the technical team, prioritizing player welfare and preparation for upcoming national competitions, decided to suspend the match.

So our technical team came together and decided that due to the players preparing for national competitions, it’s wise to suspend the match for the players

The Black Queens had traveled to Morocco as part of their preparations for upcoming international engagements, i.e. the WAFCON, but the setbacks have raised concerns about fair treatment and proper organization in friendly matches of this nature. Despite these challenges, the team remains focused on their objectives, with the Ghana Football Association expected to address the situation and ensure better conditions for future international fixtures.

Arne Slot given two-game touchline ban after Merseyside drama

Liverpool manager Arne Slot has been given a two-game touchline ban by the Football Association following his red card against Everton.

He was dismissed for approaching referee Michael Oliver on the pitch after the 2-2 Premier League draw at Goodison Park on 12 February.

Slot will miss the league leaders’ home game with Newcastle on Wednesday and the visit of Southampton on 8 March.

He can be on the touchline for the Champions League last-16 first-leg tie with Paris St-Germain on 5 March.

Slot was also fined £70,000 after accepting the charge.

Liverpool assistant coach Sipke Hulshoff was banned for two games and fined £7,000, while Liverpool and Everton were fined £65,000 and £50,000 respectively for failing to control their players.

James Tarkowski’s 98th-minute equaliser sparked chaotic scenes, with Everton fans entering the field to celebrate.

Liverpool thought Tarkowski’s goal, which was checked by the video assistant referee (VAR), should have been ruled out for a push on defender Ibrahima Konate in the build-up.

Slot exchanged words with one of the assistant referees before shaking hands with Oliver, who immediately showed him a red card. Hulshoff was also sent off.

Slot, who was unable to speak to the media after the match because of his red card, later voiced his frustration over the amount of stoppage time played, after five minutes were initially signalled.

Lionel Messi fined for grabbing neck of New York City assistant coach Mehdi Ballouchy

Lionel Messi has been hit with an undisclosed fine for grabbing the neck of a New York City assistant coach at the end of the match on Saturday.

The World Cup winner was seen on camera in a confrontation with NYCFC assistant coach Mehdi Ballouchy after the final whistle.

He twice put his hands on the back of the coach’s neck.

The MLS said in a statement that his actions violated the league’s “hands to the face/head/neck of an opponent policy”.

Messi had just set-up a stoppage time equaliser for team-mate Telasco Segovia in the 2-2 draw at Inter Miami’s Chase Stadium in the season opener.

Messi’s team-mate Uruguayan Luis Suarez also received a similar fine for putting his hands on the back of the neck of NYFC defender Birk Risa at half-time.

In Miami’s next game after the Messi incident, the Argentine scored as Inter Miami locked in a spot in the 2025 CONCACAF Champions Cup second round after a 3-1 victory over Sporting Kansas City.

A few weeks into the new season, Messi is already in fine form, with the 37-year-old superstar opening the match with a goal in the 19th minute.

FC Nordsjaelland signs Ghanaian talent Prince Amoako Junior from Right to Dream Academy

FC Nordsjaelland, a prominent Danish Superliga club, has officially announced the signing of 18-year-old Ghanaian prospect Prince Amoako Junior. The talented youngster has inked his first professional contract with the club, marking the next step in his career after leaving the renowned Right to Dream Academy in Ghana, where he honed his skills over the past eight years. Amoako Junior follows in the footsteps of fellow Ghanaians like Mohammed Kudus, Kamaldeen Sulemana, Ernest Nuamah, and Ibrahim Osman, who have successfully transitioned from the academy to FC Nordsjaelland in recent years. His arrival further strengthens the club’s reputation as a nurturing ground for emerging talent.

Expressing his excitement, Amoako Junior said, “Signing my first contract with FC Nordsjaelland feels amazing. Farum and the club already feel like a second home to me, and I can’t imagine a better place to launch my professional journey. I’m thrilled to be here.”

The winger, known for his flair and love for entertaining fans, added,

“I’ll keep playing my game—being on the ball and giving my all. I’ll do everything I can to perform at my best for this club and our supporters. Stepping onto the pitch at Right to Dream Park for my Superliga debut will be a dream come true, and I can’t wait for that moment.”

Amoako Junior has already been integrating with the squad, having trained with the team earlier this year and joined their mid-season camp.

He also featured in several friendly matches as part of preparations for the second half of the season. At FC Nordsjaelland, he will don the No. 22 shirt.

Black Queens embrace new philosophy under Kim Lars Björkegren

Ghana’s Black Queens have embraced the fresh philosophy introduced by head coach Kim Lars Björkegren and are excited about what the future holds under his leadership. Currently on a training tour in Casablanca, Morocco, as part of their preparations for upcoming international fixtures, the team has commended the new coach’s tactics and approach. Despite suffering a stoppage-time defeat to the Atlas Lionesses of Morocco in their first match under Björkegren, the players remain optimistic about his vision and the direction of the team.

Fenerbahçe Petrol Ofisi and Black Queens midfielder, Azumah Bugre, has expressed confidence in Björkegren’s methods, emphasizing that he brings a fresh perspective to the team.

I’m really happy. To begin with, I would say I’m so honored to be called to join the Black Queens team once again. I’m really happy to be here in Morocco preparing ahead of the African games. And I would say every coach has his or her philosophy, style of play, and system, and I think he comes in with something different and better. It’s quite good because not just me, but along with my teammates, we’re trying to adapt well. We’ve had like two training sessions, and it’s been good. We understand each other, and everything is clear. I think sometimes we miss one or two things, but we’re able to ask questions to clarify things, and I think we are adapting so, so well. I believe it’s going to be a good way moving forward.

Black Queens midfielder Jennifer Cudjoe, who plays for DC Power FC in the USL Super League, also sees the new coaching change as a challenge worth embracing. She believes Björkegren’s arrival marks a fresh start for the team. It’s a great eye-opener to be part of the team again and also embrace every challenge and change that has happened. It’s been a process for us to now take on from what we’ve built before, and I think it’s been really good. For now, from what I’ve seen coming back into the team and then working with the coaches, it’s definitely a good thing for us. I’m excited to see what it can do for our team and for us as individuals as well. It’s been really great.

Meanwhile, Doris Boaduwaa, who plays for Hapoel Jerusalem, believes the team can build upon the foundation left by former coach Nora Häuptle. Every coach that comes has his or her own strategy and how games should be played, so I think within these three days we’ve been training as a team, he has tried to mesh us together, and I am confident he will help us.

Sherifatu Sumaila, an attacking midfielder for Spanish side Rayo Vallecano, praised the technical team’s efforts to smooth the transition. So far, so good. It’s only been a few days, and everything is going well. He’s trying his best to teach us the way he wants us to play. And the good thing is we’re having fun, we are listening, and we are learning new things.

The technical team, everyone has been helpful. So I feel like everything is on the right course. I am a girl with dreams and ambitions. I love to see myself grow, improve, and get better each and every day

The Black Queens were initially scheduled to play Moroccan club AS FAR in their second tour match, but the game was canceled.

However, with the positive energy surrounding the squad, the team remains hopeful that Björkegren’s new system will lead them to success.

“We had a good match despite the loss to Morocco”- Kim Lars Björkegren

Black Queens head coach Kim Lars Björkegren believes his team put in a strong performance despite their friendly defeat to Morocco ahead of the upcoming Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON). According to him, the main objective of the training tour was to help the players understand his tactics, philosophy, and build stronger connections both on and off the pitch.

He believes that despite the loss he feels the aim has been achieved

I think that we have been really, really good. This team came as one group, and they are leaving as a completely different, better group, I would say. Both off the pitch, with team building, and on the pitch, with a great team spirit. They have been working really hard in training. The focus has been on defending well, applying high pressure, playing with energy, and working as a team. I think we did a good job in the game against Morocco, even if the result wasn’t what we were hoping for. But they have been following all the instructions, working hard, and, like I said, we are leaving as a better group and a better team.

Björkegren also praised the depth of talent within the squad and the players’ willingness to learn and adapt to his methods. We have so many good players-a great team. I’m pleasantly surprised by how well they listen and how much they truly want to do their best for this group, but also to make the country proud of them.

The Black Queens have now concluded their training tour in Morocco as they shift focus to final preparations for WAFCON, set to take place later this year.

Galatasaray to initiate criminal proceedings against Mourinho for “racist statements”

Turkish Süper Lig leaders Galatasaray said they will “initiate criminal proceedings” and report Fenerbahçe manager Jose Mourinho to FIFA and UEFA over what they call “racist statements.”

The move comes after the two sides played to a 0-0 draw in a tense league match in Istanbul on Monday night.

Mourinho had welcomed the appointment of a non-Turkish referee, with Slovenian Slavko Vinčić chosen to officiate. After the match, Mourinho made a point of praising the referee, highlighting the fact he was not from Turkey.

“The performance of the referee was a top performance,” Mourinho told his postmatch news conference.

“I went to the referee’s dressing room after the game. Of course, the fourth official was there, a Turkish referee. And I told him [the referee], thank you [for coming] here. “I turn myself to the fourth official and I told [him] this match, if you are the referee … would be a disaster. When I say him, I say the general tendency.”

Mourinho was also asked about an incident early in the game involving his 19-year-old defender Yusuf Akcicek, to which he said: “Again, I have to thank the referee because with a Turkish referee after the big dive and the first minute and their bench jumping like monkeys on top of the kids. Galatasaray responded with a statement: “Since the commencement of his managerial duties in Türkiye, Fenerbahçe manager Jose Mourinho has persistently issued derogatory statements directed towards the Turkish people.

“We hereby formally declare our intention to initiate criminal proceedings concerning the racist statements made by Jose Mourinho, and shall accordingly submit official complaints to UEFA and FIFA.” Mourinho has led Fenerbahce to a Europa League round-of-16 contest against Rangers next month.

Product has been added to your cart