Kwadwo Dickson

Painter remanded for allegedly stealing electrical cables at Bank of Ghana

A painter working on the Bank of Ghana building at Ridge in Accra has been remanded into police custody for allegedly stealing assorted copper cables valued at GH¢1,035,500.

Ahmed Mohammed Lawal was arrested after a review of CCTV footage captured him and two others, who are currently at large, stealing from the construction site.

Appearing before an Accra Circuit Court, Lawal pleaded not guilty to charges of unlawful entry and stealing. The court, presided over by Mrs. Sedinam Awo Kwadam, adjourned the case to March 19, 2025.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Augustin Kingsley Oppong, prosecuting, told the court that the complainants, Samuel Nii Tettey and Davidson Mensah Otinkorang, are a safety officer and an electrical engineer, respectively, at the New Bank of Ghana building, which is under construction.

ASP Oppong said that on February 16, 2025, the complainants discovered that a thief had broken into the Energy Farm at the site and stolen LC x 240 square copper cables and LC x 300 square copper cables, all valued at GH¢1,035,500.

A review of CCTV footage revealed Lawal and two accomplices stealing the copper cables. Bundles of electrical cables were stored at the location. The complainants apprehended Lawal and handed him over to the police for investigation.

During investigations, police established that Lawal and his accomplices gained access to the Energy Farm using a scaffold, cut the copper cables with a sharp object, and took them away.

Further investigations revealed that the stolen cables were sold at Kwame Nkrumah Circle. Lawal reportedly received GH¢2,000 as his share but failed to assist the police in tracking down his accomplices or the buyer of the stolen items.

The prosecution told the court that efforts were still underway to apprehend the remaining suspects.

Zelensky willing to give up presidency in exchange for Nato membership

Volodymyr Zelensky said he would be willing to “give up” his presidency in exchange for peace ahead of the third anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. “If you need me to leave this chair, I am ready to do that. And I also can exchange it for Nato membership for Ukraine,” the Ukrainian president said in response to a question during a news conference. His comments came after US President Donald Trump called Zelensky a “dictator without elections” earlier in the week. “I wasn’t offended [by the comment], but a dictator would be,” Zelensky, who was democratically elected in May 2019, responded on Sunday.

Zelensky said he was currently focused on Ukraine’s security, and it was not his “dream” to remain president for a decade. Ukrainian legislation bans elections during martial law, which has been in place since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022. EU and world leaders are due to head to Kyiv on Monday to show their support for Ukraine and discuss security guarantees. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, European Council President Antonio Costa and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen are among those expected to attend the meeting in person.

Zelensky said the topic of Ukraine joining Nato would be “on the table” at the meeting but he did not know how the discussions would “finish”. He said he hoped the meeting would be a “turning point”. On the topic of Trump, Zelensky said that he wanted to see the US president as a partner to Ukraine and more than a mediator between Kyiv and Moscow. “I really want it to be more than just mediation…that’s not enough,” he told the press conference. His comments come as political leaders in Europe fear Kyiv is being sidelined in talks to bring an end to the war.

Zelensky was also asked about a potential deal the Trump administration has pushed for to provide the US access to Ukrainian rare earth minerals. “We are making progress,” Zelensky said, adding that Ukrainian and US officials had been in touch about the deal. “We are ready to share,” the Ukrainian leader said, but made clear that Washington first needed to ensure Russian President Vladimir Putin “ends this war”. Zelensky’s press conference came hours after Russia launched its largest single drone attack on Ukraine yet during the current conflict, Ukrainian officials said.

On Saturday night, Ukraine’s Air Force Command spokesman Yuriy Ignat said a “record” 267 Russian drones were launched in a single, coordinated attack on the country. Thirteen regions were targeted and while many of the drones were repelled, those that were not caused destruction to infrastructure and at least three casualties, emergency services said. Ukraine’s Air Force reported that 138 of the drones were shot down and 119, which were decoy drones, were lost without negative consequences, likely due to jamming.

In Kyiv, the attack meant six hours of air alerts. In a statement, Zelensky claimed that 1,150 drones, 1,400 bombs and 35 missiles were launched by Russia this week. He thanked Ukraine’s emergency services for their response to Saturday night’s attack and called for the support of Europe and US in facilitating “a lasting and just peace”. In a post on X, Ukraine’s First Lady Olena Zelenska said that “hundreds of drones” had “brought death and destruction” overnight. “It was another night of explosions, burning houses and cars, and destroyed infrastructure,” she wrote. “Another night when people prayed for their loved ones to survive”.

On Monday, the war will enter its third year. As it does, diplomatic wrangling over a potential peace deal continue, with Ukraine, European allies and the US offering differing visions for how to end the conflict. French President Emmanuel Macron is expected to visit Washington on Monday, while UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer will be there on Thursday.

Court rejects WAEC’s bid to withhold WASSCE results, orders immediate release

Accra High Court has rejected an application from the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) to delay the release of WASSCE results (WASSCE) by Wascheld West Africa High School Accreditation and to mark significant victory for affected students. did. WAEC holds results of approximately 10,000 candidates than some subjects, and in his announcement released on December 30, 2024, cited the alleged screening errors and irregularities.

After legal action by four students representing all affected candidates, the court decided on January 30, 2025, that WAC must release the results without adverse footnotes. Judge Ali Baba Abatur has rejected the WAEC application for enforcement on February 20, 2025, and decided that it would not provide sufficient justification for the reviewer to retain the results. The court confirms the previous attitude that WAEC justification is ambiguous and inconsistent and continues to say that maintaining the outcome could indefinitely hinder students’ academic and professional advances. I did.

In a further blow to the WAC, the court levied a fine of GH 5,000 on the testing authorities. This decision remains in the hover and is seen as an important relief for students who are uncertain about their academic future. Many of them had applied for approval and employment opportunities at the university due to delays caused by the WAEC decision. With the removal of WAEC’s appeal, the Examination Bureau is expected to meet the decision and release the results immediately, allowing the relevant students to continue their educational and career goals. You can read the latest update contacts to design training in Ghana, the article on the Ghana Education News Hub on Graphic Online. Whether you are a student preparing for Wassce or BECE, a school of persecution for parents, or an educator of academic trends, this page will keep you up to date and It will enable you.

Product has been added to your cart